Saturday, December 15, 2012

An Ode to Scissors


I love cutting paper and I love the sound of scissors cutting paper. But even more, I love the shape of a pair of scissors. There's something so elegantly beautiful about the shape of scissors. And, if I could, I would have a drawer full of them.

Here's what my dream drawer of scissors would look like:


Shears by Shozaburo scissor company from Best Made Company


Marguerite Scissors from The French Needle



Allex Non-Stick Scissors from The Shop at Cooper-Hewitt


Antique Stork Scissors from The Vintage Universe


Double Face Scissors (Photo: Colleen Abbott/Pinterest)


9 Inch Fabric Scissors from Spartan Shop


Brass Scissors from Hay




 9" Studio Teflon Scissors by Merchant & Mills


(Photo: Pack Rat Memories Blog)


I leave you with a poem by Pablo Neruda.

Ode to a Pair of Scissors

Prodigious
scissors
(looking like
birds, or
fish),
you are as polished as a knight's
shining armor

Two long and treacherous
knives
crossed and bound together
for all time,
two
tiny rivers
joined:
thus was born a creature for cutting,
a fish that swims among billowing linens,
a bird that flies
through
barbershops.

Scissors
that smell of
my seamstress
aunt's
hands
when their vacant
metal eye
spied on
our
cramped
childhood,
tattling
to the neighbors
about our thefts of plums and kisses.

There,
in the house,
nestled in their corner,
the scissors crossed
our lives,
and oh so
many lengths of
fabric
that they cut and kept on cutting:
for newlyweds and the dead,
for newborns and hospital wards.
They cut
and kept on cutting,
also the peasant's hair
as tough
as a plant that clings to rock,
and flags
soon stained and scorched
by blood and flame,
and vine
stalks in winter,
and the cord
of
voices
on the telephone.

A long-lost pair of scissors
cut your mother's
thread
from your navel
and handed you for all time
your separate existence.
Another pair, not necessarily
somber,
will one day cut
the suit you wear to your grave.

Scissors
have gone
everywhere,
they've explored
the world
snipping off piece of
happiness
and sadness
indifferently.
Everything has been material
for scissors to shape:
the tailor's
giant scissors,
as lovely as schooners,
and very small ones
for trimming nails
in the shape of the waning moon,
and the surgeon's
slender
submarine scissors
that cut complications
and the knot that should not have grown inside you.

Now, I'll cut this ode short
with the scissors
of good sense,
so that it
will
fit in your pocket
smoothed and folded
like
a pair
of scissors.

12 comments:

  1. I love scissors a little less now that I have a three year old running around, one more thing to worry about! But as a side note, cheers to Pablo Neruda. I've only read his more romantic poems before, and this was a nice surprise :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling...when my boys were that young I would hide my scissors in hard to find spots. Now they are older and know to be careful when using any pair of scissors. I like Pablo Neruda's poems too!

      Delete
  2. love it jess, especially the bird! Does the iconic eyelash curler qualify as such apparatus?? Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The eyelash curler...hmmm, it does have a similar shape as scissors but since it doesn't do the same function I'll have to say it doesn't qualify :) Do you have a drawer full of eyelash curlers, Noel?!? I wouldn't be surprised if you did ;) XOXO

      Delete
  3. you scare me..j/k. I remember Charmaine had that My Melody scissors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I loved those scissors! I think Charmaine still has them. Do you remember mom's long metal scissors with black handle...I'd love to have those scissors too!

      Don't worry, I don't cut anything but paper or thread ;)

      Delete
  4. I like this post, scissors are so very important in crafting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree...I use scissors all the time and they are essential to making my paper dolls!!!

      Delete
  5. I love very much Marguerite Scissors from The French Needle, it reminds me the victorian style and has something of magic!
    Beautiful post and beautiful collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the Marguerite Scissors too! They are gorgeous!

      Delete
  6. Who would have thought there were so charming scissors out there? I'm in love with the ornate pair from the French Needle. :)

    ReplyDelete