Tuesday, July 18, 2017

My Paper Dolls for the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con Art Show

I am back for my fifth year at the San Diego International Comic-Con Art Show. The 2017 San Diego International Comic-Con (SDCC) officially starts on Thursday, July 20th and art show set-up is this Wednesday, July 19th. However, this art show will be the first year it will not be located upstairs at the Sails Pavilion in the San Diego Convention Center. 

This year (and maybe from now on) the art show will be located at the Manchester Grand Hyatt hotel in Grand Halls C&D on the first floor. I do have mixed feelings about this last minute change of location. I really did love having the art show in the actual Convention Center because obviously it felt more connected to the actual SDCC event rather than at a nearby off-site hotel. One positive is that the art show will be open to the general public but nonetheless the atmosphere will be different. All in all, I remain positive about my whole experience of being a part of such a fun event and I am, as every year, excited about showcasing my paper dolls for the art show and all its attendees!

For this year's Art Show I will be displaying 12 paper dolls which again are mostly fan-based paper dolls relevant to Comic-Con's celebration of comics, fantasy, and other pop-culture art forms. I originally made 13 paper dolls even though I knew I could only fit 12 on my display panel. So the one paper doll "Zendaya in Dolce & Gabbana" that didn't make the art show cut will be available in my Etsy shop. 

Below are my final 12 paper dolls and their inspirations behind their creations for the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con Art Show. Enjoy!


MERMAID PAPER DOLLS

Mermaid Paper Doll #128 - Margaery Tyrell

My "Margaery Tyrell" Mermaid Paper Doll is based on the HBO television series "Game of Thrones" character of the same name and portrayed by actress Natalie Dormer. My mermaid version of Margaery is based on her wardrobe worn during the Season 6 season finale episode "Winds of Winter" where she met her untimely death. Mermaid Margaery wears her stag crown and a demure silver metallic embroidered gown.


Mermaid Paper Doll #129 - Lupita in Gucci

Lupita Nyong'o is such a beauty! She is a favorite of mine in both red carpet fashion and as a muse for my mermaid paper dolls. My latest Lupita Mermaid Doll will be my fourth shown at the SDCC Art Show. "Lupita in Gucci" is based on her gorgeous green gown worn at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival. Her long voluminous gown featured an embellished floral detail of embroidered crystals and hand painted pink and blush silk flowers. And I absolutely loved her pop of purple lipstick!


Mermaid Paper Doll #130 - Betty Cooper

My Mermaid Paper Doll #129 is inspired by the character Betty Cooper (portrayed by actress Lili Reinhart) from the CW teen drama show "Riverdale" (my latest guilty-pleasure television show). "Riverdale" is based on the characters by Archie Comics. Mermaid Betty is wearing her 1950s retro best with her coiffed blonde hair and her soft pink and floral girl-next-door scaled attire.


Mermaid Paper Doll #131 - Veronica Lodge

Mermaid Paper Doll #130 takes inspiration from another "Riverdale" character Veronica Lodge portrayed by actress Camila Mendes. My Mermaid Veronica has a darker, jewel-toned palette and wears the signature pearl necklace (of Archie Comics' Veronica) but in a more grandiose mermaid-style. I also wanted to give Mermaid Veronica a sexier, more 1970s vixen vibe in comparison to Mermaid Betty's 1950s girl-next-door look. 


Mermaid Paper Doll #132 - Solange in Derek Lam

I am a huge fan of Solange Knowles fashion style! Mermaid Paper Doll #131 is inspired by Solange Knowles' Derek Lam Guipure lace dress that she wore at the 2012 Glamour Women of the Year Awards in New York City. I love the bold and bright contrasting patterns of her dress and thought how awesome it would look on a mermaid's gown of scales!


Mermaid Paper Doll #133 - Lady Hideko

Mermaid Paper Doll #132 was inspired by the character Lady Hideko (portrayed by actress Kim Min-Hee) of Park Chan-Wook's intriguing movie "The Handmaiden". Moreover, the film's costumes designed by Sang-gyeong Jo are equally compelling and absolutely gorgeous! The movie is a definite must-see! For my Lady Hideko mermaid I wanted her to embody the demure and luxurious look of Lady Hideko and took inspiration from her dark blue dress with black lace complete with her petal pink colored lips and loose strands of hair from her intricately braided bun.


Mermaid Paper Doll #134 - Yellow Diamond


These next two mermaid paper dolls are based on characters from the animated television series "Steven Universe" by Rebecca Sugar. Known as members of the Great Diamond Authority, Yellow Diamond and Blue Diamond are rulers of the Homeworld Gems and were featured prominently during the most recent "Steven Universe" episodes.


My Yellow Diamond Mermaid is inspired by the character's signature look with short bob and spiked tipped hair style, yellow eyes, short yellow tailcoat-like attire with enormous shoulder pads. The character Yellow Diamond also has a cutout for her diamond gemstone in the middle of her chest. My Mermaid Yellow Diamond has one as well but it is a bit hidden behind the pointy array of yellow sea flowers.


Mermaid Paper Doll #136 - Blue Diamond


Mermaid Paper Doll #134 is inspired by the character Blue Diamond from "Steven Universe". The character Blue Diamond has a sky blue complexion; long, oval face; long, straight alice blue hair that curls inwards at the ends; and slanted, soulful-looking eyes and makeup. She wears a long dark blue cloak and her blue diamond gemstone is located on her chest above the sternum. She appears regal yet surrounded by melancholy.


MENAGERIE PAPER DOLLS

Menagerie Paper Doll - Brienne of Tarth Mermaid

My Menagerie Paper Dolls are composed of an array of miscellaneous rubber stamps. My Brienne of Tarth Mermaid Paper Doll is based on the character from "Game of Thrones". I love Brienne's character and she is brilliantly played on the television show by actress Gwendoline Christie. I had  a rubber stamp made of her face by the Etsy shop Stamplifier

Mermaid Brienne wears blue armor which is the color of her House Tarth. The armor was a gift given to her by her unrequited love Ser Jaime Lannister (see below). She also carries with her her sword known as Oathkeeper which was also given to her by Jaime.


Menagerie Paper Doll - Jaime Lannister Merman

My Jaime Lannister Merman Paper Doll is based on the character Ser Jaime Lannister from "Game of Thrones". On the television show Jaime is wonderfully played by actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. My Jaime Merman wears gold-scaled armor as well as his golden hand. The "Game of Thrones" character Jaime loses his right hand and wears his new gold appendage to cover his missing hand. Merman Jaime also carries the sword known as Widow's Wail plus a beautiful bouquet of sea flora for his Mermaid of Tarth (wink wink!). 

Unrequited no more, my favorite soulmates on "Game of Thrones"


Menagerie Paper Doll - Frida Kahlo The Wounded Deer

My Frida Kahlo the Wounded Deer Paper Doll takes inspiration from Kahlo's 1946 painting "The Wounded Deer". 


Menagerie Paper Doll - Frida Kahlo Me & My Parrots

My Frida Kahlo Mermaid Paper Doll takes inspiration from Kahlo's 1941 self-portrait painting "Me and My Parrots" which include her pet parrots. 



I hope you enjoyed this sneak peek at my paper dolls for the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con Art Show!  All my paper dolls will be up for auction and/or quick sale during the Comic-Con and any unsold items will be added to my Etsy shop Rock Paper Tekla

And if you could stand the crazy crowds down near the Convention Center, definitely stop by the Comic-Con Art Show and come see my paper dolls! I guarantee you they look gorgeous in person!

Cheers!
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

2 comments:

  1. Loved Blue Diamond's interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very great post and the way you express your all post details that is too good. thanks for sharing- wpgroup , 9xMovie , TamilMV , Jio Rockers , movieswood , 9xRockers , Full Form .

    ReplyDelete